Tips for Changing Your Name After a Divorce

Did you recently change your name as part of your divorce? If so, it's time to get it updated everywhere.

First Steps to Changing Your Name After a Divorce

When you have your final divorce papers identifying your name change, your first step will be to contact the Social Security Administration to legally change your name on your Social Security Card. The details of what you’ll need are listed out on their website under "corrected card" ( 

You can either visit your local social security office or send your documentation by mail with form SS-5. Your social security number will not change - just the name associated with your social security number. It typically takes at least two weeks to receive your new card in the mail, so you can take this time to make a list of all the places where your name will need to be changed. The IRS is automatically notified when you update your information with the social security administration.

Once you receive your new card, you can get a new driver's license or state ID. Each state’s DMV requires different information, but your updated Social Security card will be required to verify your correct name.

Now for Everything Else

After you’ve changed your Social Security Card and ID, you can update your passport and travel documents as well as all of your various accounts. Each person will have a variety, but generally, these include:

  • Employer payroll
  • Bank accounts
  • Investment accounts
  • Loans
  • Credit cards
  • Safety deposit box
  • Vehicle Title & registration
  • Subscriptions
  • Voter registration
  • Health insurance
  • Car insurance
  • Life insurance
  • School contact information
  • Professional licenses/degrees
  • Rent/mortgage
  • Utilities
  • Cellphone, internet, tv, etc.
  • Gym

For each account, contact the institution and ask them what their process is for updating your name on your account. Then, submit any required documentation and follow up to ensure your name has been updated as requested.

Don't make this mistake!

Keep in mind that if you delay updating your name with the Social Security Administration, it could mean that some of your wages don't post correctly and/or delays when you file your taxes.

Here’s how we can help you...

We get that divorce can feel really hard and leave you with a lot of questions about how to handle your finances. After all, this is the reason Leah Hadley founded Great Lakes Divorce Financial Solutions in the first place. 

After her divorce, she found herself stressed and overwhelmed about how to navigate life on her own with three kids and a new financial situation.

Helping families overcome this challenge is why we do what we do. 

Whether you’ve never had to manage money before, or you’re a master at investing, we are here to support all your post-divorce financial planning needs.

Schedule a complimentary consultation to explore how we can support you.


50% Complete

Two Step

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.